Benson Elementary School/Johnston County Schools Vision
“Empowering all students to become successful in a global society.”
All JCS Board policies referenced in this handbook can be found in The Parent Gazette or online at http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/components/docmgr/default.php?sectiondetailid=108457&
**If a student is to be picked up from school before the end of the instructional day, they must be signed out by an adult who is listed on the informational sheet by 3:15 p.m. Adults must be prepared to show identification to office staff as a safety precaution. Otherwise, the student will not be released until 3:45 p.m. No student will be released between 3:15 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. without a doctor’s appointment card or in an emergency situation.
- Students will not be allowed to be dropped off before 8:15a.m. There is no staff available to supervise students until 8:15 a.m.
- The tardy bell sounds at 8:40 a.m. If your child is tardy, please accompany them into the building to sign them in with office personnel.
- Students who leave before 12:15 p.m. or report to school after 12:15 p.m. will be counted absent. Parents must come inside to sign students in or out. Please understand when we ask for identification at pick-up, it is for the student’s safety.
- A.M. Important times:
8:15 a.m………..Student arrival time (buses and car riders) and first bell
8:40 a.m………..Tardy Bell
Car Rider Rules and Regulations
The following is a list of carpool procedures that will need to be followed by all parents.
- NO Smoking anywhere on campus (JCS policy code 2600). This includes your car while waiting in line to pick-up or drop-off your child.
- Obtain car rider tags with your child’s name to display in your front windshield for pick-up. The school will make as many as you need. If you do not have a current tag, you will be required to come inside and sign your child out in the office.
- Use the designated entrance to the school for pick-up and drop off.
- Remain in a single file line for drop off. However, there will be three lanes functioning for pick-up.
- When leaving please look ahead and behind before moving your car. Several near misses have occurred when parents are watching a child while the car is in motion. No passing!
- Please do not have a conference/conversation with staff in the drop-off or pick-up line. If you need to come inside for any reason, please park in the parking lot.
- Right turn only when exiting carpool and always YIELD to buses.
- Be considerate of others when dropping off or picking up. Have your child’s money, notes, books, etc. ready before you enter the drop-off area. If you need to get out of the car, please park in the parking lot.
- For the safety reasons, students need to exit vehicles from the passenger side.
- Be patient. Children are precious cargo.
Benson Elementary will enforce the JCS Board Policies on attendance.
Board Policy 4110 Attendance states: Regular attendance is required by the board of education. All students must be present for a minimum of 91% of all class meetings to receive credit for a course during any grading period. That is, if absences from class exceed four per nine weeks, eight per semester, or 16 per year, the maximum grade a student may receive for the grading period is F or 69, regardless of the reasons for the absences.
Board Policy 4120 covers absences
In the event of an absence a note to the teacher is expected on the day of return from any absences. A doctor’s note is requested for absences when applicable. Please ask for a prior approval 5 days in advance for a trip.
It is important for parents to understand that a student will receive perfect attendance status only if they have zero absences and four or less am tardies or non medical early release for the entire school year.
Please make all transportation/attendance arrangements with you child prior to leaving in the morning in order to prevent disruption of class. Please send a written note to your child’s teacher with the changes in advance. Due to safety reasons changes cannot be given over the phone. They can be faxed to the school 919 894-7133.
Transfers and Withdrawals
Parents should contact the Data Manager at least one day prior to withdrawing a student. The student(s) will then be given a checkout form. All fees (library or textbook) must be cleared and all books must be turned in or purchased if lost.
Medication and Health Concerns
School personnel are prohibited by law from giving medication to students without the following criteria being met.
- A note from the parent/guardian, and doctor giving permission to give the medication, the amount, and the time to be given.
- If a doctor prescribes the medication, we must have an authorization form completed and signed by the prescribing doctor and parent. Please ask the school receptionist for this form.
- All medications must be in the pharmacist’s original container.
- Parents must bring medication to the office. Students may not bring medications to and from school unless authorized by a doctor and school administration.
- It is the parent’s responsibility to notify the school of any health issues relating to the student (i.e. allergic reactions to bee sting, asthma, diabetes, etc.). An emergency kit, contingency plan, and release form for instituting emergency procedures is required for students with life-threatening conditions.
*A registered school nurse is on campus two days per week, generally for screening and not medical care.
Free/reduced lunch price forms are available in the office. Please note that you are required to fill out a free and reduced lunch form each year. Your child will
- Breakfast for Grades K-12 $1.35 or $0.30 reduced. Benson Elementary is participating in the Universal Breakfast Program. No charge for Breakfast for our students (Children will need to be at school by 8:30 to have time to eat breakfast.)
- Lunch for Grades K-8: $2.15 or $0.40 reduced.
- Lunches may be paid for by the month, week, or day. Checks should be made payable to: Benson Elementary Cafeteria. Please include the child’s full name, telephone number, and lunch number on the check. Returned checks will be handled through Check X Change.
- You may use our online service to post payments on your student’s breakfast and lunch account. It can take up to 24 hours for the payment to post to your child’s account. Please use link below to access this online service: www.payforit.net
- Benson Elementary will continue to use automated phone calls to help remind students and parents of their lunch account needs. If you ever receive a phone call in error please notify the cafeteria directly at 919-894-4934.
- Students will not be allowed to charge lunches; the school will provide a vegetable plate, with water, to students who do not have money to purchase a lunch.
We welcome adults to join us for lunch. For operational reasons, we ask that food from outside vendors not be brought into the cafeteria. If you wish to bring your child food from outside vendors, we will arrange for special seating in our workrooms.
Additional items such as ice cream, punch, canned juices, water, and cookies may be purchased when available. For health, safety, and cleanliness reasons please do not send soft drinks or candy in your child’s lunch or snack.
BES will follow all JCS Board Polices regarding academics. Below you will see a few policies that the school would like to emphasis.
3460 – Homework
3400 – Grading System
3420 – Principal’s List/Honor Roll – Note, students must also receive S’s in enhancement classes and conduct to receive either recognition.
3430/3440 - Promotion and Retention and Student Accountability
Successful student achievement is dependent on the involvement of parents and guardians. Knowledge of the expectations of the school is essential to the successful involvement of parents and guardians. Therefore, by the end of the first month of school, the parent or guardian of each student must meet with their student’s teacher in the core academic areas to receive information about the courses, course requirements, and expectations for the school year. Parents or guardians must sign at the time of the visit acknowledging receipt of the information and agreeing to be a partner in insuring the success of their student in school. Parents of new students entering during the school year must complete this process before their child can begin classes.
Parent newsletters from the classroom teacher will be sent home at a minimum biweekly. The school will provide agendas for parents and teachers to communicate regularly in regards to student performance. Parents are frequently asked to participate in surveys. These are very helpful and contribute to school improvement. The school will also use automated phone calls to communicate important and special events with parents.
Visitors, Volunteers, and Conferences
Visitors and volunteers are always welcome at Benson Elementary. For the safety of all students and staff, we require the following:
- All volunteers must fill out a volunteer application and must be subsequently approved before participating in any volunteer activities. This application must be updated each year and is available online at the following web address: https://www.jcsvolunteers.com/
- All visitors and volunteers must report to the office upon arrival to sign in with the receptionist.
- Provide identification to receptionist when requested
- Identification badge/sticker (visitor or volunteer) should be worn while in the building.
We also welcome your communication with the school and with your child’s teacher. Conferences with teachers must be held during non-instructional times. Please send your child’s teacher a note to determine a mutually convenient time during the teacher’s planning time, before, or after school. Thank You!